Wednesday, April 29, 2009

wedding weekend day one

Dan and I had a wonderful time in New York over the weekend.

I think I might break it down by the day, in case I get interrupted and have to break off.

DAY ONE
It took us about eleven or twelve hours to get to Newburgh, New York. I was really tired since I had worked the previous five nights, and I think we ended up stopping at half of the rest stops in Pennsylvania so I could move my poor old middle aged body. That was no hardship, though, since Pennsylvania is such a beautiful state!

We left fairly early, and ate breakfast at the Coney Island in Milan before getting on the freeway. We did not stop for any other meals, though we obviously stopped for gasoline and to stretch our legs. We did get cookies at a Panera Bread at a stop on the Ohio Turnpike, and had those as a snack while driving.

We stopped for gas in Pennsylvania just before hitting the New York border, right at dusk. That was when we noticed that the spring in that area was at least a week further along than ours here in Michigan. There was a pond near the gas station, and they had frogs croaking and singing!

After crossing the Delaware River into New York, lots of little things started hitting the wind shield of the Jeep. At first we thought it was rain, and could not figure out where the rain was coming from, as the sky was perfectly clear. Then we realized that it was bugs. EWWWWWWWW.

We got to Newburgh and found the hotel. We quickly called Eric and Christy to let them know we had made it in safely, then went to eat at the Applebees, as it was very near to the hotel. We just wanted some hot food and sleep at that point. The restaurant was filled with avid Yankees fans, which was very amusing, given that they were playing the hated Red Sox that night. I might have finally found a fandom that might be worse and more extreme than Red Wings fans. LOL!!!!!

No comments: