Monday, December 24, 2007

the weekend before Christmas

Yesterday Dan and I went out shopping for Christmas dinner. Bill had wanted a goose. I think this is because one of his main jobs last summer was to remove goose droppings from a bank parking lot in Ann Arbor. As he put it "I want to have some revenge on those feathered fiends". However, after going to three grocery stores, we were unable to find any geese. So we got some huge thick pork chops instead. So we will have that and homemade macaroni & cheese and cornbread and biscuits and all sorts of other things. It should be good.

This morning for breakfast we had apple and cinnamon pancakes, homemade with real apple pieces. It was wonderful. For lunch we had toasted bits of pita bread dipped in humus. That was also delicious.

Dan and I both have to work on Christmas Eve, and are both feeling sad about that.

Steven seems to be doing well right now. Hopefully by the time school restarts after the holidays, his concussion will be largely healed.

Work had quieted down tonight. In fact, I took a bit of vacation time and came home early. I am really tired. Dan has a cold and has been snoring loud enough to shake the walls (or keep a wife awake) the last two nights.

I am looking forward to Christmas. I love so many things about that day. If nothing else, I am looking forward to being with my family and being able to eat dinner with them on a week day.

Our wedding anniversary is on Thursday, and I will be working, as usual. But on Friday Dan and i have tentative plans to go out for a nice dinner date followed by live jazz in Ann Arbor. And on Saturday we might go up to Frankenmuth for the day. We are looking forward to a bit of time together. We are even talking about going to Chicago for a weekend together next summer - with Bill a junior in college, surely we can leave the kids here for a couple of days.

 

No comments: