Sunday, July 29, 2007

Harry Potter & The Order of the Phoenix film

Well the kids and I finally went to see the film, followed by a nice dinner out last night.

My impressions:

* I was reminded why I despise going out to the movie theater. It was a movie that was over two hours long, but it had something like 30 minutes of commercials & trailers in front of it. I do not mind the trailers so much, even though most of them are quite lame - but I find it truly offensive to pay that much money to get into a movie and have to see twenty minutes of the same commercials & garbage I see on TV at home. I mean, admission for the three of us was for more than my membership at Netflix, with five movies out at a time and unlimited movies per month. Razz And that does not even count the cost of dinner afterwards. Razz And we didn't even get popcorn or pop because we knew we were going to head out right to the restaurant afterwards. Razz

* The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper is one of the greatest children's fantasy books & series ever. The upcoming film looks like something one of my cats puked up in comparison. And if they must film what looks like pretty awful bad movies based on the books - why didn't they start with the first book rather than one later in the series? Confused

* Even though I dislike going to the movie theater, I will quite likely go see Neil Gaiman's Stardust. It looks like they might have done a great job with that book - and Michelle Pfeiffer looks delightful as the evil witch. Cool

* The film itself was good, though a lot of the book was cut out. I assume they did this out of length issues, as the film was already over two hours long, and if they followed the book scene for sceneit might have had to be a two parter movie.

* It has been some time since I read that particular Harry Potter book, and I had forgotten how much I hate the radioactively pink witch. Razz Razz And I had also forgotten how much I love the Weasley twins in that book. Twisted Evil They are my heroes.
Cool

No comments: