Friday, July 30, 2004

Work was busy again for most of this week. We have been very full, and the emergency room has been very busy -- and a lot of our patients are very sick. Tonight every bed was full and we had an emergency room full of people too sick to send home. I am sure on midnights they will have to call around to area hospitals to see if we can ship some of our patients to them via ambulance, as sometimes happens when it gets this way. On one night, I got sick and came home early. Getting sick sucks, but at least I got to see the beautiful rainbow over my house on my drive home in the rain...

Have watched more movies, as I have been too stressed out when I get home to go to bed right away.

National Velvet:

very old children's movie set in a horribly sexist time and place...Elizabeth Taylor is both beautiful and charming in the lead role, a lovely little girl (hard to think that anyone could be fooled into thinking she was a boy, looking at that face and with her figure starting to develop..)... the interactions within the family are delightful, as the children are cute, and the parents, while pretending to be stern, both have hearts of gold...

 

Legally Blonde 2: Red, White, and Blonde

I thought the original movie was a lot of fun, as it told the story of a beautiful young woman who discovered that she had a brain, and that use of it was fun. This movie remembered the cuteness factor of the original, but forgot about the brain. I was somewhat disappointed with this sequel.

Finding Forrester

Rob Brown and Sean Connory star in this rather weird and very good movie about friendship. Brown is an impoverished and brilliant young black teenager living in the Bronx. Writing is both his escape and his passion. Connory is a famous writer who wrote one very acclaimed and influential novel, but who now lives alone as a sort of cranky hermit. They come together in an unusual way and forge an unusual friendship. I highly recommend this movie.

Have been listening to Diana Krall:

DIANA KRALL LYRICS

Popsicle Toes

When God gave out rhythm
Sure was good to you
You can add, subtract, multiply and divide by two

I know today's your birthday and I did not buy no rose
But I wrote this song and instead I call it, Popsicle toes

Popsicle toes
Popsicle toes are always froze
Popsicletoes
You're so brave to expose all those Popsicle toes

You must have been Mr. Olympian
With all that amplitude
How come you always load your Pentax when I am in the nude
We are to have a birthday party and you can wear your birthday cloths
Then we can hit the floor and go explore those Popsicle toes

You've got the nicest north of America
This sailor ever saw
I like to feel your warm Brazil and touch your Panama
But Tierra del Fuegos are nearly always froze
We've got to seesaw until we un-thaw those Popsicle toes

No comments: