Sunday, May 10, 2009

the biopsy

We got up early and Dan and I drove to Livonia. Why Livonia? Why, when we are long time University of Michigan health care system patients and live a few miles from Ann Arbor did we have to drive to Livonia? That is a darned good question, and one I would like to have answered. Surely they must do prostate biopsies at the University of Michigan Hospital or the adjacent Taubman outpatient facility? Or even the east Ann Arbor center where I had my colonoscopy? So why did we have to drive to Livonia in the Detroit suburbs?

But anyway we got there, and they took Dan on back. I waited in the waiting area, and did not realize how long he had been back there until I finished the book I took with me in my purse, and noticed how far along the morning had gotten...

Turns out they did the procedure, and took the samples. And then Dan's blood pressure plunged and he tried to pass out on them while still on the examination table.

They eventually realized I would be worried sick, and came to get me to sit with him. He was dehydrated, and they gave him lots of water to drink, and he had not eaten yet that day, so they gave him some food to eat. All of that seemed to help, and his blood pressure came back up to a more normal level, and they finally let him leave.

We went to the nearby Panera Bread for some lunch. I thought soup and some lemonade would further help him, and they did seem to.

We got home and he climbed into bed and stayed there for the rest of the day while I ran errands and Bill kept an eye on him.

Today the poor man was driving us crazy with his grouchiness and constant demands. He is moving very stiffly like he has a baseball bat stuffed up where the sun does not shine (and they do go in to get biopsy samples via the man's rear end), and seems to be in a lot of pain, so the grouchiness is perfectly understandable. Hopefully he will feel a bit better, and move a little more easily, tomorrow.

He is not supposed to lift anything heavier than ten pounds for a week. That leaves out both cats (they both weigh more than ten pounds), some bags of groceries, laundry, etc. etc. I do not know how he will work next week, but he says he will find a way...

No comments: