Tuesday, January 1, 2008

lunch with old friends; New Year's; big snow storm

On Sunday afternoon Dan and I went down to Dundee before I had to head in to work. We met my dear friend John and his wife Barb and some other friends for lunch. John transferred out to the hospital in Los Vegas two Junes past. We have all missed him tremendously since then. He is a wonderful human being. It was so good seeing him and Barb again.

Poor man came back to Toledo in time for the last big snow storm a couple of weekends ago, and now he is back for this one, too!

As is often the case, I was scheduled to work on New Year's Eve. Since we are anything but partyers, that is actually quite fine. This year, though, we are having a big snow storm. We could get about a foot of snow before all is said and done. Between the holiday drunks and the snow I did not feel comfortable driving, so Dan was kind enough to drive me to work and come pick me up at midnight. Man, was it ever snowing hard! You could barely see well enough to drive. It was coming down about an inch an hour. The roads, of course, completely sucked. But we made it home safely. Took about an hour to get the 15 or so miles home, but we are here safe and sound.

The snow is beautiful beyond comprehension. I hope to take a walk tomorrow and just soak in all of the loveliness. I will be off from work for the holiday, but poor Dan, who had hoped to be off, will now have to put in many backbreaking hours of snow removal.

No comments: